1. Run past many historic sites in Hillsborough: Old Orange County Courthouse, Burwell School, Margaret Lane Cemetery, Occoneechee Indian Village, and many more
2. Half Marathon runners will run one lap of the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Track, the only surviving dirt track from NASCAR's inaugural 1949 season
3. Enjoy running on Churton Street, and on Hillsborough's River Walk, part of the Mountains to Sea trail.
4. Faster second half of the race in both the 5K and half marathon
Packet pick-up dates, times and locations are as follows.
4.00-7.00pm, Wednesday, 02 October: Fleet Feet, Carrboro
4.00-7.00pm, Thursday, 03 October: Fleet Feet, Durham
1.00-5.00pm, Saturday, 05 October: Eno River Farmers Market
5.30-6.30am, Race day
You may pick up the race packet for another participant.
Until Midnight 04 July, 2019: $25
05 July, 2019 until Midnight 02 September, 2019: $30
03 September 2019 until 5pm 04 October 2019: $35
Until Midnight 04 July, 2019: $55
05 July, 2019 until Midnight 02 September, 2019: $65
03 September 2019 until 5pm 05 October 2019: $75
There will be no race day registration
The closest available parking is shown in green on the map below. Please refrain from parking in the areas marked in red, as these are either directly on the race route, or are reserved for event staff and emergency services. If you can carpool, that would be great. We recommend using the parking deck and Cameron Park School lots first, as these are larger. Downloadable version via link above.
Unlike many other races, we have elected to reward runners in as many age categories as we can. We mirror the Got Grit? 5Ks (another fabulous Hillsborough race, held each May) award scheme, and try to be fair to runners under the age of 18 by offering many narrow age groups in the 5K, see below. We have also extended our upper age range past 70+, and now go up to 80+.
Awards to the overall top three male and female winners, top three masters (40+, male and female) and top three males and females in each of the following age groups.
Half Marathon age groups are as follows: 19 & under; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80+
5K age groups are as follows: 9 and under; 10-12; 13-15; 16-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80+
Photographers will be at multiple locations on the course. Photographs will be freely available for download after the event.
We will have a beer garden located within the River Park at the finish. This is free to runners (21 or over). Please bring your ID.
Race Time Limit
All participants will be expected to complete their distance by 10.30am (Half Marathon pace: 16:00min/mile, 5K pace: 67:45min/mile). Participants that cross the finish line after the 3 hour 30 minute cut off, may not receive an official time.
Both race routes have been accurately measured and marked. Both race routes have been USATF certified, effective date 22 September 2016. The certification codes are:
Historic Hillsborough Half Marathon: NC16049DF
Historic Hillsborough 5K: NC16048DF
There will be one aid station at the mid way point on the 5K course. After 2 miles, where the Half marathoners split from the 5K runners, there will be aid stations approximately every 2-3 miles. The exact locations are marked on the race route maps.
Aid stations 2 through 5 will have water and a sports drink (lemon/lime Gatorade). Aid stations 3 through 5 will have gels and sports beans.
If the weather forecast indicates a warm race day, we may add a 6th water stop between miles 9 and 11. To be confirmed race week.
Start Line Corrals and Paces
The start line will include signs indicating expected race pace. There will also be a timing mat at the start, giving runners a chip time regardless of where they start in the pack. These measures will relieve congestion immediately prior to the start.
Strollers in the 5K only, must start from the back. Awards are based on gun time, not chip time.
There will be plenty of porta-johns at the start/finish area, as well as hand wash units. There will be two at Kings Highway Park on Ben Johnson Road, and two units at the entrance to the Occoneechee Speedway Track. These are marked on the Half Marathon map above. There are also a toilet block within Gold Park (not right on the race route, but close), also marked on the map above.
1. Bib transfers: Bib transfers are not permitted. Bib transfers will affect runner times and can spoil runner award assignments.
2. Given the nature of the race routes (some narrow bridges, mixed surfaces) baby joggers, strollers and pets are not permitted in the half marathon. Strollers are permitted in the 5K as long as you start from the back of the field.
3. Headphones: It can be unsafe to wear headphones, we do not prohibit their use, but please ensure that the volume level is kept down. You must be able to follow the instruction from all course volunteers, especially at the split point for the half marathon and 5K, and police officers during the event.
4. All registration fees are non-refundable and you may not defer to another year. Registration transfers are not permitted. You may change your race distance by contacting the race director.